Hot spring spa, blinking green Ready light, no heat

Conversation related to the service and repair of Hot Spring, Tiger River, Hot Spot, and Solana spas.
Forum rules
Electricity is dangerous, it can kill you. Always turn off electricity before removing any equipment doors. All text in this forum is for informational use only, we provide it to assist people that want to repair equipment themselves. We always recommend having work done by a factory trained professional.
Dennis p.

Hot spring spa, blinking green Ready light, no heat

Post by Dennis p. » September 10th, 2015, 7:44 am

I have a hot spring vanguard that will not heat. My heater relay board checks out ok, but on the main circuit board the lem light is lit but the heater led is not lit. On my control panel the red power light is lit, but after a few seconds of turning on the power the green ready light starts to flash. I have 220vac going to the heater relay board but nothing going out to the heater.

Amos

Re: Hot spring spa no heat

Post by Amos » September 10th, 2015, 11:37 am

Dennis,
I will go down the list of possible reasons, starting with most common and ways to resolve:

Blinking ready (green) light is a temperature sensor reporting is it too hot.
  • Low flow - This can be caused by a plugged filter or by a failing circulation pump - Best test is to turn the power off and remove filters completely, turn tub back on and see if the blinking light comes back. If it does not, replace circulation pump filter (the one with the gray cap). If the circulation pump is starting to fail it may not create enough flow and cause this same error, to resolve this the pump gets replaced.
  • Temperature Thermistor Failure - If the temperature thermistor is incorrectly reporting too high of temperature it can also create this error, when the tub has been off for an extended amount of time you can check the resistance across this thermistor and check it against the hi limit thermistor, they should be equal. Thermistors are cheap and it is usually worth replacing both if you find one to be bad.
  • Control Head Failure - In less common situations there can actually be a failure in the control head, we usually have a known good control head to use as a tester since there is not a good way to test.
  • Control Board - Even less common situations there can be a problem with the actual board. Hopefully not the problem.
With a serial number I could give you even more help, but this information is pretty universal for the Hot Spring, and offers a couple things you can try.

hartman49

Re: Hot spring spa, blinking green Ready light, no heat

Post by hartman49 » December 2nd, 2017, 10:58 am

I know this thread is long dead, but I was hoping you may be able to provide some insight.

I have the exact same year/model hot tub with the exact same problem that started after a drain/refill.

on the IQ2020:

"LIM OK" light is on
"HTR ON" light is OFF
"Control Disconnect" light is off

On the front control panel:

"Power" light is on - solid red
"Ready" light begins to blink green after approx 10 seconds after power-on

Other info:
-Both the 20 and 30 amp breakers are on and not tripped
-Both the front and aux control panels appear to work appropriately
-Filters just replaced 2 months ago, but tried both with them in place and removed - same result
-Circ pump appears to be working correctly (not overly hot, can feel water moving in lines, can feel suction from the bottom of the grey filter tube)
-Heater ohm's out at ~10 (no fault 6000, PDR)
-Refilled through the grey tube and bled out all of the connections in case of air lock (circ pump, jet pump, heater, etc.)
-Removed and inspected heater relay board - no signs of discoloration/charring
-Replaced the control and hi-limit thermistors - no change
-There are appropriate voltages into the relay board (120 each leg, 240 across both), just no power to H1 and H2
-If the jets are activated immediately after power-on, they will function (before the green light starts to blink). Once the green light starts to blink, they do not turn on.
-The "clean" button on the control panel works, even after the green light starts to blink.
-The ozonator is working appropriately (hum and bubbles from bottom of spa)

Please help! Im at a loss for what else this could be.

Thanks.

Steve

Amos

Re: Hot spring spa, blinking green Ready light, no heat

Post by Amos » January 9th, 2018, 4:41 pm

Hey Steve sorry I must have missed the email notification. If you did not get this resolved hopefully this will help.

If this happened directly after a drain and refill the most likely cause is an air lock (air trapped in the circulation system) filling through the grey standpipe can often avoid this problem but not always. I will cut and paste the following since it still points to all the possible problems that can causing a flashing green ready light

Blinking ready (green) light is a temperature sensor reporting is it too hot.
  • Low flow - This can be caused by a plugged filter or by a failing circulation pump - Best test is to turn the power off and remove filters completely, turn tub back on and see if the blinking light comes back. If it does not, replace circulation pump filter (the one with the gray cap). If the circulation pump is starting to fail it may not create enough flow and cause this same error, to resolve this the pump gets replaced.
  • Temperature Thermistor Failure - If the temperature thermistor is incorrectly reporting too high of temperature it can also create this error, when the tub has been off for an extended amount of time you can check the resistance across this thermistor and check it against the hi limit thermistor, they should be equal. Thermistors are cheap and it is usually worth replacing both if you find one to be bad.
  • Control Head Failure - In less common situations there can actually be a failure in the control head, we usually have a known good control head to use as a tester since there is not a good way to test.
  • Control Board - Even less common situations there can be a problem with the actual board. Hopefully not the problem.
I hope this helps.