Hot tub do not heat above 82F

Conversation related to the service and repair of Hot Spring, Tiger River, Hot Spot, and Solana spas.
Forum rules
Electricity is dangerous, it can kill you. Always turn off electricity before removing any equipment doors. All text in this forum is for informational use only, we provide it to assist people that want to repair equipment themselves. We always recommend having work done by a factory trained professional.
serge9898

Re: Hot tub do not heat above 82F

Post by serge9898 » April 21st, 2017, 10:03 pm

Humm you were right (again) about the heater. I plugged the heater directly in the 110V with a cord I created: The breaker did not trip.
But it still doesn't heat... :-(

I fixed the relay board with a new relay. Relay works.
I check the voltage : It sends 110V to the heater.

Reassemble and started the whole thing.
It doesn't heat. Water out of the pump is barely warm. (But not completely cold though)
The 2 LED on the controller board are on (LIM OK & HEATER ON)
The red power light on the control panel is on (Not blinking). The green ready light if off.

What do I check next?
I guess I need to get a better multimeter and do an amp reading on the heater right?
Or check the Thermistor High-Limit?

Amos

Post by Amos » April 22nd, 2017, 9:11 pm

You waited long enough? The heater will not get warm to the touch unless you have a bad filter or weak circ pump. You can look at your main electric meter and time how long it takes to go a full cycle (the little dashed lines on the bottom of the readout screen) and then turn on the hot tub and time how long it takes to do the same full rotation, if the heater is working it will be noticeably quicker.

On 120v the heater will only gain 1-3 degrees per hour

A bad thermistor would not allow all the leds on the board to light up, it would stop the relays from closing and sending 120 to the heater.

I love my Fluke T5-600 meter, it has a couple shortfalls, but 95% of my testing is done with that.

serge9898

Post by serge9898 » April 27th, 2017, 4:48 am

(It seems my reply wasn't posted)

Right again. I waited the whole night and it was hot in the morning!
I was ready to replace the heater.

Thanks again Amos.
You are great!

(I will enjoy a hot tub as soon as I get back from my business trip!)